WhatsApp is without a doubt the biggest instant messaging app. It is found on almost every other smartphone. Can you imagine a life without WhatsApp? It has more than 1 billion daily active users and more than 55 billion messages are exchanged every day. In those 55 billion messages, 4.5 billion photos are shared every day.
WhatsApp introduced the option to backup your chats back in 2015. This was a welcome feature for those who like to keep a backup of their conversation for future reference. The only catch with the introduction of this feature was that WhatsApp did not allow the users to exclude photos from the backup. (Videos can be excluded) Worry no more! We have found out a way using which you can only backup your messages and save your precious data.
Why you should exclude Photos from your backup
- If you use your mobile data to backup your chats, backing up photos will eat up your data.
- More than half of the images received on WhatsApp are memes, greetings, and other unnecessary photos.
- If you are in too many groups which share memes, consider disabling the auto-download option.
- WhatsApp does not backup chat on its own servers but uses Google Drive for Android and iCloud for iOS to backup chats. You get limited space on both Google Drive as well as iCloud.
- If you keep switching between phones, you don’t want to restore all those useless photos.
Now, enough with the ‘why you should’ and let’s cut to the chase.
Note: WhatsApp allows users to exclude videos from backing up. You can find the option to exclude videos in WhatsApp settings > Chats > Chat backup > untick the option include videos option at the bottom.
How To Exclude Photos From WhatsApp Backup To Google Drive
- Using any file explorer, navigate to the WhatsApp folder in the internal storage.
- Inside the WhatsApp folder, tap on Media and find the folder named ‘WhatsApp images’. Change the name of it to ‘WhatsApp Images 2’ or any other name of your choice.
- Now open WhatsApp and go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup and tap on the green Backup button.
- To exclude voice messages and other media from the backup, change the name of the folder ‘Media’ to anything of your choice.
WhatsApp will now create a backup of only your messages and not your media to the Google Drive. This will reduce the size of your backup which will save lots of your data as well as time while restoring it.
Don’t you think WhatsApp should provide an option just like the videos in the app itself? Do let me know in the comment section below.
I hope you were able to backup your chat to Google Drive without photos. If there is anything that you think I have missed, let me know in the comments. Also, feel free to share this on social media.