Last year was the year for camera phones. We saw many phones with some great cameras. But the one phone which stood out from the crowd was the Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. With Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL’s single rear camera, Google achieved what most OEM’s were not able to achieve with dual cameras. Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL portrait mode was the talk of the town for many days after its launch.
One of the most talked feature of the Google Pixel 2 camera is that it has the ability to produce incredible DSLR like portraits. Google Pixel 2 is able to take portrait not only from its rear camera but also from its front shooter. All of this was possible only because of the smart software and machine learning that Google has embedded in its camera app. As it is software that does most of the job, the possibility of it getting ported to other smartphone was always on the card.
Last week, XDA Developers reported the camera being ported to some of the popular phones of 2017. The list of supported smartphones is increasing every week, so we thought of writing this article where you will find all the supported smartphones at a single place and check if your phone is in the supported list.
Also Read: Smartphone Camera: Explained
How To Get Portrait Mode On Other Devices
- Download the Camera NX V7.3 mod by visiting the link. Once downloaded, tap on the APK file and hit the install button to install the mod. Note that it does not require root to run.
- Open the camera app and give it all the permission it asks for.
- Next, tap on the hamburger menu on the top left corner and then tap on ‘Portrait’.
List of phones Portrait Mode work on
- Original Pixel
- Nexus 5X
- Nexus 6P
- OnePlus 3/3T (Rear Camera)
- Xiaomi Mi 5/5s on LineageOS 15
- Moto G5s Plus
- Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+
- Nokia 8
That’s all the devices it supports for now. You can get it to work for more devices if you have root access to your phone. The camera works only if your device has camera2api enabled since it’s dependant on that API.
How To Get Portrait Mode To Work On Rooted Device
- Download any build prop editor from Play Store.
- Open the editor and grant root permissions.
- Click on the edit button.
- Scroll to the end and add a line , ” persist.camera.hal3.enabled=1″ (without quotes).
- Save the file and reboot the device.
- Install the Camera NX V7.3 file and the camera should work now.
Let me know if the APK works on your phone and I will add it to the list. Also, if you face any issues following the steps, do let me know and I’ll be more than happy to help you out.